Tuesday 14 August 2012

Work Anxiety

Well, looks like I'll be going back to work part time starting next week.  Can I tell you how excited I am about it? I'd rather eat rocks than go back to my job.  It's not that I don't want to work.  It's that I work in a school with emotionally disturbed kids and it's a really tough crowd..

 Most of the kids know me because I worked there for 5 years before I had my daughter and when they see me I get so much love from them. They really are great kids. So what am I complaining about?  As lovely they are when they see me at first, when they don't want to do work, or has a problem at home, or had a fight with another kid earlier that day, all hell breaks loose.

 Let me give you an idea of a typical day. Before the first bell rings, on average, two fights have already broken out as well as several kids runnning off into the woods and staff having to go find them. (The school is on a large 117 acre campus surrounded by woods)  BTW there are only about 150 kids that go to the school.

 First class is reading. The whole school has Reading classes at this time. (Kids favorite subject-NOT) At this point if you don't get hit with a desk, pen, or other flying object you've had a good morning.

 After reading all the classrooms switch for different subjects.  Most of your day, including lunch and prep times, are spent breaking up a fight, talking to a kid with a problem, holding back a kid from gym because they didn't go their other classes and so on.

 I do love the school and what it does for the kids because it really has changed lives of some of the kids there, but it is soooooooo exhausting.  It can a rewarding job but it can also wear you down fast.  When I was single and living at home with my parents I think I was more tolerable because I would either go out with some of the other teachers after work or meet up with my friends for a cocktail or a bite to eat and just vent.

 It's different working there all day, coming home to my daughter who is only 1 so she needs much attention (and I love giving it to her), cooking dinner, cleaning up after dinner, giving Danicakes a bath,  putting her to bed, etc.

 I really would love to work from home. Someone has to know of some legit companies that have you work from home. If you do please let me know.

 Sorry if I sound like I'm whining. :-(

Quote of the Day
The undertaking of a new action brings new strength."
—Richard L. Evans

PAVIJUAN.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment